Read through our written interview with them and be inspired....
- As for the business background please visit What If Handmade
- What.if is our registered trademark. It represents not only our products but also the way we begin our product concept/design process. As a starting point, what.if offers endless possibilities. It is the fuel that gets our imagination running. What.if thinking is also the way we explore business directions.
- We run a responsible business: making sure we leave as little carbon imprint along the way, providing decent livelihood to a community, and being a conscientious business owner.
- We make various fabric-based products borne out of our what.if thinking. We make use of scrap/remnant fabric. We make travel companion items such as the Travel Blanky, Go.Go Towel and the Unload.Overload backpack. We also have home accessories such as the WindChi, DoorStops and Yakap Pillows. And our call for the return to vintage games include the fabric TicTacToe, Memory Game and Chinese Jacks.
- To be in craft business, one needs to have a cross-section of craft and business competencies.
Where do you sell/exhibit your work?
You can also check their Market Calendar and see if they are within your neighborhood.
- We don’t play favourites with our products. These are our “babies” and we love all of them. Our most challenging were our Sabits and our Kitty DoorStops. Sabits are 3”x4” bag tags that were embellished with hand-sewn appliqué. Kitty is challenging because of its whiskers and its rounded shape. We still haven’t perfected this one.
- We enjoy going to market places where products are functional, basic and simple. We keep our eyes peeled especially when we travel out of Manila or out of the country. Many of our products are borne out of our own interests and needs.
What motivates you?
- Owning and running our own business seemed to be a logical next stage coming out of corporate. And the choice of a craft business came naturally because of our shared interest in this line.
- When we registered our brand name, we applied (and were approved) for 4 categories: fabric, wood, tiles and leather. We have basic tools for each of these raw materials even if we’ve mostly focused on fabric for now. So I guess the simple answer would be, our sewing machines would be our favourite, for now ;-)
What are your plans/goals for the future?
- Can’t go into much details, but what we’d like to do is expand our product line to include products that would make use of other raw mats that we love - wood chips, scrap leather, terra cotta, paper.
When you first started if you could have been given one piece of advice what would it have been and what advice would you pass on?
- FOCUS. We were so gung-ho, so enthusiastic when we started. We were easily excited with possibilities and potential. We were making stuff just because we fell in love with a fabric material. We ended up with raw material which that didn’t translate to revenues.
Where can we find you?
- You’ll find our contact details in our website, www.whatifhandme.com
On a Personal Note...
I also like the door stops. It's beyond the ordinary door stops that you see being sold in the malls. You can even customize it for personal use or even as giveaways. The Sabits are also a treasure!!!
I know that this craft business will go a long way. With this kind of passion in their handicrafts, they will surely meet their vision of making the whole world an endless possibilities of creating, and crafting. I, for one has already been inspired.